Hello Tim,

> I'm not sure about TB!, but when I worked with databases (~1990),
> you did a purge (to remove all records that were marked "deleted"),

I would say = "remove old messages"?

> then in TB! case a compress to take all the "empty" space out of the
> db that is left when removing a record.

Shouldn't "remove old messages" in connection with "Keep messages in
the base for:" do that?

> Also, I would guess a re-index happens which would speed up access
> time.

I can't tell any difference. The only thing I _can_ say is that the
process of compressing the database takes some time which I consider
unnecessary under these circumstances.

> Anyone more knowledgeable on TB! inner workings want to confirm/deny
> that?

Yes, I would really be interested too.

Greetings,
Alexander