Hallo James,

On Thu, 22 Mar 2001 14:47:12 -0500 GMT (23/03/2001, 03:47 +0800 GMT),
James Senick wrote:

JS> Upon a theBat reload, html files then showed as message.hts.

[...]

JS> But most importantly, theBat is now showing the proper
JS> message.html.

YOu seem to contradict yourself, but as long as it works, it's fine.
;-)

JS>         Now I ask myself, "Self, was this really worth the trouble to
JS> see ads in your messages"?

Message to self? Do you program in Smalltalk by any chance? <g>

JS> Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the main purpose of a file
JS> extension is to associate a file type with a master program or set
JS> of menu extensions.

This is correct. Or to announce that the file is executable, and which
kind (.exe, .com).

JS> That said, if a program is looking for a certain file type, it
JS> will find it and manipulate it

You mean the right thing, I think. But the application (the executable
associated with the file type, for example .mv) will open it and
hopefully not manipulate it right away (unless that is intended).

JS> regardless of whether the extension is recognized by the OS.

I don't whether you can say extension are recognised by the OS.
Probably yes. But that means all of them. Some are recognised as
executables,  others are associated with an executable to open it. A
extension that is not recognised will result in this little pop-up
window asking you which application you want to open the file with.

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

>From a Japanese information booklet about using a hotel air conditioner:
Cooles and Heates:
If you want just condition of warm in your room, please control yourself.

Message reply created with The Bat! 1.52 Beta/1
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 1998
using an Intel Celeron 366Mhz, 128MB RAM