Hello Kelly Martin,

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001 20:32:42 -0600 (which was Fri, 27 Apr 04:32:42 where I live)
you wrote (on the subject of "IMAP double authentication problems"):

> I am having problems using IMAP

A couple of weeks ago, I received a question from a person on TBUDL concerning
how to set up IMAP in TB. Here is what I wrote to him:

QUOTE

The Mail Dispatcher is important for working with IMAP in TB - but first you
need to set your  protocol settings for IMAP, of course (in Account Properties |
Transport | Protocol). When this is done,  you can go to the Message Dispatcher
and have a look at View | Mailbox Controller. This is where all the "real"
IMAP-settings are located. Is been quite a while since I last worked with TB,
but I think all I did was call up my IMAP-account and then I got a list of my
folders in the Mailbox Controller. I then experimented with the various settings
and checked the folders I wanted to "subscribe" to. Ever since this, IMAP has
been working beautifully for me in TB: I check my account just as I check my
"normal" accounts (that is: not using the Mail Dispatcher), and TB checks the
folders I have subscribed to. It's a little slow sometimes, but all in all you
should have no problems at all if you follow this procedure.

UNQUOTE

My authentication-settings are as follows: Account | Account properties |
Transport | Send mail | Authentication | Perform SMTP Authentication (field
checked) | Use settings of mail retrieval (field checked).

All of this makes IMAP on TB work perfectly for me. I use the IMAP-server of the
free webmail-service http://www.myrealbox.com .

You need to know this, though:

TB does not support the latest version of IMAP (called IMAP4rev1). This kind of
IMAP is best used to synchronize different clients accessing an account on equal
terms (yourself using one copy of a client at home and one at work - or various
users of one account (like a group co-working on a project)). All clients
accessing the account are supposed to share messages-flags, draft- and
sent-folders etc). Examples of mailers offering this kind of IMAP would be OE
and Becky!

Basic draw-backs of this kind of IMAP are, that the clients accessing the
account are supposed to share filtering and folder-order as well. This means a)
that all filtering has to be done using the servers filter-capacities, and b)
that the order of the folders on the server and the order of the folders locally
*has to be the same*.

The IMAP of TB, OTOH, "assumes" that you want to use TB as your basic e-mail
software. There might well be several users of TB - but they are all using it
from the same location. The messages-flags, draft- and sent-folders etc. will
remain local and you are allowed to keep one filter/folder-order on the server
and another in TB.

This means that the IMAP of TB is best used to control accounts used to
compensate for the fact that you cannot take TB with you wherever you go
(Webmail etc.). If you want to synchronize different copies of TB, you should
use TB's synchronization-feature.

Jannik Lindquist

Currently sending from: Becky! 2.00.05

Otherwise using: The Bat! 1.51