For anyone who's interested, the problem, I think, was that some files
and/or registry items had been moved. It seemed to happen after I had
done some hard drive cleanup with Fix-It Utilities. I re-installed,
and the exact same filter worked beautifully. That was odd. What kind
of external files would The Bat!'s filters rely on? Maybe that wasn't
even the case- I can't be sure.