Hello Jan,

On Sun, 3 Jun 2001 12:29:13 -0400 GMT (04/06/2001, 00:29 +0800 GMT),
Jan Rifkinson wrote:

JR>    I thought I read somewhere that some viri are now being spread via
JR>    jpg or jpeg files; don't know if that's correct. But assuming it
JR>    is, I noticed that these file types do *not* produce a TB! virus
JR>    warning. What are your thoughts on this?

I have not read this. Do you have a URL? *.jpg and *.jpeg files are
just pictures with no executable code. Since you refer to a beta
version (not allowed on this list ;-)), you can disable any file
types under the new menu item Options / Preferences, if you want.

If you use the virus-friendly Microsoft® products, a file called
virus.jpg.pif or virus.jpg.vbs will by default be conveniently (for
virus-spreaders) shown as if it were called virus.jpg - I think this
is what was meant in the article you thought you read.

<rant>

Microsoft® calls this deception "user-friendly". That must make us
believe that their most important users are the people who want to
spread viruses. I don't know why Microsoft® is allowed to continue
distributing virus-friendly and home-user-unfriendly products. Do they
know people in high places?

</rant>

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

"LOST: Male cat. Needs medication. Owner very worried, neutered and
declawed."

Message reply created with The Bat! 1.53 Beta/11
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 1998
using an Intel Celeron 366Mhz, 128MB RAM