On Sun, 8 Jul 2001 21:41:01 -0700
Januk Aggarwal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Welcome.  I'll take a stab at this question.

Thank you (and the others) for your quick and very accurate answer!

> http://faq.thebat.dutaint.com

Yes, and I'm happy to report that it works with Netscape 4.7 (yesterday I
tried with Opera and Mozilla, no success):)

> SSV> So let's take the IF macro.
> You've probably chosen the hardest macro to learn.  The %IF macro was

Maybe, but it's also very useful...

> only introduced in the last version or two.  The general macro syntax
> was not designed to handle such a complex task.  However, I'll answer

So this is the reason for the rather strange syntax. I thought it was a kind
of discrepancy between usual programming-language logic and the authors' own
one.

> The first level uses only one quotation mark:  "..."    or   '...'
> The second level uses double delimiters:      ""...""   or  ''...''
> The third level:                             """..."""  or '''...'''

Yes, after a couple of hours spent by browsing the beta-list archives (the
search engine can't deal with the % sign [nor can the FAQ's one]), I've
found a similar thread which suggested this aspect:
http://www.mail-archive.com/tbbeta@thebat.dutaint.com/msg12266.html ...wrote
by you:)

> Think of the arguments to any macro as a mini template.  It is
> completely independant from the rest of your overall template.  That
> means that if you want to use a regexp search, you must do the search
> inside the delimiters of the %IF macro.

You answer my new questions before I could ask them:) I'd no idea why my
%SETPATTREGEXP...
%REGEXPBLINDMATCH...
%IF:"%SUBPATT...
(which I used beacause it's more readable) didn't work...

But I still have a question for today. I noticed that some (let's say higher
level or general) macros like %LANGUAGE or %SINGLERE can't be used inside of
a quick template included by an %IF macro. So this won't work:
%IF:"string1"="string2":"%QINCLUDE=""English""":"%QUINCLUDE=""French"""
where English is a quick template which contains %LANGUAGE="AM"

But this will:
%IF:"string1"="string2":"%LANGUAGE=""AM""%QINCLUDE=""English""":"%QUINCLUDE=""French"""

Is there a general rule which macros can't be included this way and in which
situation (and why)?

Wait a minute... Is this because what you said about macro as a
mini-template? But if so, why did it screw up the result instead of being
silenty ignored (or having effect only inside of the included template)?

> SSV> a little bit frustrated because I'm unable to fully exploit
> SSV> the power of the software;-P
> It takes time.  :-)

Well, I already am a 3-days-user:))

See you, Sandor; a grateful user who thinks that even if the on-line help
will be ameliorated, it will hardly beat this list.