I'm still learning about various ways to filter, and I understand
  "most" of it... but what does it mean by the term "kludges"?  I've
  used filters in Outlook, Eudora, Pegasus, and every other mail
  program I've used, but never come across this term in this sense of
  a specific filtering element, like Subject, From, Reply-to, etc.

  at dictionary.com I found this:
kludge or kluge (klj)
n. Slang

1. A system, especially a computer system, that is
   constituted of poorly matched elements or of elements
   originally intended for other applications.

2. A clumsy or inelegant solution to a problem.

but even this doesn't explain the usage as a filter.  Can someone give
me an example (or three)?

  thank you

--
 Ray