Hello Dierk,

It was foretold that on Monday, November 12, 2001 at 08:53 GMT +0100,
Dierk Haasis [DH] would type:

>> Absolutely, but it isn't *always* appropriate.

DH> Just one short comment: Why on earth should one use RegEx for the task
DH> of finding *all* messages (which was the question)? Isn't it better to
DH> go the easiest way, in this case a simple search for a character that
DH> will be in all messages?

That's exactly my point as well.  I find the fastest and easiest
search is for the '@' character in the sender field to match all
messages.  I have yet to see an instance where it will fail, and it is
searching in a small string.  Sure it can be done with RegExps, but
that means TB has to load another module.  That must add some time to
the filter processing.  While for one filter on one message the
differences are probably not noticeable, when you have lots of
filters and/or lots of messages, the delays can be significant.

--
Thanks for writing,
 Januk Aggarwal