Hello Rémi,

An archeological dig discovered that on Thursday, December 6, 2001 at
12:30 GMT +0200, Rémi Pach [RP] typed the following:

>> True, but the free caret system requires mono-spaced fonts.

RP> One more reason for the free caret to go. Ask normal e-mail users
RP> out there (i.e. not militant batters) what they would prefer and
RP> you'll see.

Ah, here we go again.  The standard answer (as Peter aluded to) is:
not all software has to be for "normal" users.  TB offers a nice
alternative to people who want more power than the standard
MS/Netscape/Eudora offerings.

RP> First, who needs tables in an e-mail?

Not everyone has the same needs as you.

RP> Second, if you really need to create a table (once in a blue moon)
RP> you can use the spacebar.

As I said, that's tedious.

RP> Third, you can be almost certain that a table created with TB will
RP> look awful to the recipient since 90% of all e-mail users have
RP> e-mail clients that use proportional fonts.

I'd like to know, where are you getting your numbers?  As far as I know,
no program *forces* you to use proportional fonts.  As I said,
mono-spaced ASCII text is the only way everyone has a *chance* of
seeing it correctly.  That's not to say everyone will see it
correctly, but that's by choice.

RP> That was my point and you have no answer to that.

And you missed my point.  I have no way of knowing what fonts my
contacts are using.  I couldn't even tell you what clients they are
using.  All I can do is send messages that everyone *can* view
correctly.  If they choose to use a fancy font or viewer that
invalidates my formatting, that's beyond my control.  By using
mono-spaced fonts, I am only restricting them to a *class* of fonts.
I will add, *everyone* has mono-spaced fonts installed on their
computer.  Not everyone has Word.  Not everyone has an HTML capable
client.  Not everyone has Adobe Acrobat.  So what can *everyone* see
correctly?

RP> The point is that if you turn off the auto-format feature you have to
RP> hit Alt-L all the time to reformat manually.

No, you're missing the point.  The point is, you can turn off the
auto-format *only* when you need to make a list.  Leave it on for the
rest of the time.  It takes some getting used to, but it works.

RP> Try Eudora's editor and you'll see how well the autoformat feature
RP> is implemented. That should be a lesson for TB's programmers.

Why?  We already have Eudora.  Why would we want another Eudora clone?

RP> The only differences I see between 1.53d and the 1.54 series are
RP> giimmicks and obscure features and shortcuts that no-one needs in real
RP> life.

That's a tough one to argue.  By that argument, filtering, regular
expressions, quick templates, address books and so on can all be
classified as obscure features and shortcuts.  All the things that
make TB unique may be useless to you, but they're priceless to me.
Who's to say that you're right and I'm wrong?

RP> TB will never become a serious alternative to major e-mail
RP> clients if its developpers don't look at what people need in the *real
RP> world*,

What "real" world is that?  The business world? The private world? The
educational world?  Academia?  All of them have unique needs and
requirements.  No one program will be able to accomplish everything
all people want.

RP> as opposed to a dedicated "fan club", which is what this
RP> mailing list sometimes appears to be.

That's a surprise.  A help-list for a single program is filled with
fans.  Shocking.

RP> TB's editor is the only one of its kind.

Which is exactly why it is good.  Why would you pay for a client that
follows the "big boys"?  There are lots of good, free clients
available.  TB was worth paying for because it is unique.

RP> Can it be that TB is right and all the others wrong? Highly
RP> unlikely.

Why?  Everything you've said is a matter of opinion.  Just because it
doesn't fit with your preferences doesn't mean TB is wrong.  This
isn't a right/wrong issue.

--
Thanks for writing,
 Januk Aggarwal

There is no such place as the University of Wis-cosine, and if there
was, the motto of their mathematics department would not be "Secant
ye shall find."