Hello Rémi,

On Thu, 6 Dec 2001 at 12:30:25 [GMT +0200], you wrote:
RP> One more reason for the free caret to go. Ask normal e-mail users
RP> out there (i.e. not militant batters) what they would prefer and
RP> you'll see.

Ask any Linux people and see how many use the free caret type editors.
To be honest, I do almost all of my text writing and editing in The
Bat because of free caret. I very rarely need proportional fonts,
colors, bolding, or the other various sundries present in Word or
Outlook.

RP> First, who needs tables in an e-mail? Second, if you really need
RP> to create a table (once in a blue moon) you can use the spacebar.
RP> Third, you can be almost certain that a table created with TB will
RP> look awful to the recipient since 90% of all e-mail users have
RP> e-mail clients that use proportional fonts. That was my point and
RP> you have no answer to that.

I use tables quite a bit in my PCWize E-zine, which is a plaintext
newsletter sent out weekly. Mainly I use the tables to compare feature
sets of software I've reviewed. I agree that most users of the "other"
e-mail MUAs are using proportional fonts, so that's why I placed the
below text in every newsletter for the last few years.

  If the columns in the below articles appear misaligned, it's because
  you are using a non-fixed width font. If you would like to see them
  as written, please change your e-mail font to Courier New.

I once proposed an HTML format of my newsletter, and while there were
quite a few that liked that idea, the majority were adamant in
requesting that if I were to do so, that I continue publishing the
plaintext version as well. These weren't die-hard batters either.

RP> The point is that if you turn off the auto-format feature you have
RP> to hit Alt-L all the time to reformat manually.

I personally use the ALT-L convention exclusively, because it gives me
the choice of what I want wrapped and what I don't. Code being an
example of something I don't want to wrap, as well as long URLs.

The idea behind e-mail is to quote what's necessary, not quoting

RP> The only differences I see between 1.53d and the 1.54 series are
RP> giimmicks and obscure features and shortcuts that no-one needs in real
RP> life.

- - - New interface to the filtering system.
- - - Boatloads of repairs to the HTML engine
- - - Mailing list support from the menu to subscribe, unsubscribe etc.
  RFC-2369
- - - Alternative address selection from an address book contact with
  multiple addresses.
- - - Ability to add root certificates
- - - Create common folders outside of accounts
- - - Drag and drop attachments FROM a message
- - - More URL types recognized (telnet, news, gopher, file)
- - - It's written in Delphi 6 (closer to a Linux port)

These are just the ones I know many people can and will use.

RP> TB will never become a serious alternative to major e-mail clients
RP> if its developpers don't look at what people need in the *real
RP> world*, as opposed to a dedicated "fan club", which is what this
RP> mailing list sometimes appears to be. TB's editor is the only one
RP> of its kind. Can it be that TB is right and all the others wrong?
RP> Highly unlikely.

The majority of that has to do with perception. I was originally a
little disappointed with the interface when I moved from Eudora (eons
ago), but after tinkering with the capabilities, it was plain as day
that TB blew Eudora out of the water. What's next? A skinnable TB?
Media player already went that way, and I'd imagine Outlook / OE will
eventually too. People seem to attach more value to eye-candy than
whether something performs well and is robust. That's why Linux users
are so die hard too. It works, and it works extremely well. The
functionality was in place long before all the GUI eye-candy came
along. I hope TB follows the same path. I'd rather have a robust MUA
than a pretty one.

Cheers,
Leif Gregory

- - --
List Moderator (and fellow registered end-user)
PCWize Editor  /  ICQ 216395  /  PGP Key ID 0x7CD4926F
Web Site <http://www.PCWize.com>
TB FAQ   <http://www.silverstones.com/thebat/FAQ.html>
Using The Bat! 1.54 Beta/15 under Windows NT 5.0 Build 2195 Service Pack 2
on a Pentium III 500 MHz notebook with 256MB.

Tagline of the day:
We are NOT surrounded. We're just in a target-rich environment.