Monday, January 07, 2002, 7:17:07 PM, Jörg Koren wrote:

> Hello,
> until now i'm using Outlook2000 under NT4.0, but I'm very interested to change to
> TB!. I have many mails, which I don't want to loose. Evaluating  TB!
> 1.53d I could not find a way to import my mails from Outlook2000.
> Does anybody know a solution for this problem ?
---

I recently converted from Outlook 98 to TB on NT4 (SP6). Hopefully, my
experiences will prove helpful, but no guarantees!

FWIW, I couldn't find a direct path to get my messages from Outlook to
TB except by exporting each message (individually) from outlook and
then importing those messages into TB. That said, there is a
fairly-good indirect route.

1. In Outlook Express, import the messages from Outlook, then close
   Outlook Express.
2. In The Bat! use the Import Wizard to import the messages from
   Outlook Express. (Tools->Import Messages->Mailbox Import Wizard).

Using this method, I imported over three thousand messages from
Outlook to TB in just a few minutes (the longest part was the transfer
between the MS products!)

However, there is a problem if you're running multiple PST files.
Outlook Express only finds the messages in your main PST file. Because
of this, you cannot import messages that are in additional personal
folders (PST files). The work-around here is to copy all your messages
from the secondary PST files to your main PST file before doing the
first import.

Unfortunately, I have yet to find a way to get my contact lists from
Outlook to TB, keeping email addresses, snailmail addresses, and
telephone numbers intact. The most reliable method for me is to export
as VCard from Outlook and import the VCard into TB as I need each
address. However, that means that it will be some time before I can
give the simple MAPI function over to TB -- because that prevents
Outlook from starting and I need Outlook to retrieve my contact info.

In all, this has not been an easy process. However, for me, the
immunity from email viruses and web-bugs, the speed and flexibility
make it worth while.

HTH,

--
Geoff Lane