Hello all,

For the last few years I've been using a shareware program called LatinKey to type
accents:
<http://www.fanix.com/latinkey/>
It's expensive compared to the options others have described, but it provides a
significant advantage: typing accents may be done with just *two* keyclicks.  Why does
this matter? well, two reasons: first, it reduces the "digital acrobatics" as I think
one person called extended key combinations. Second, LK's key sequences are more
natural (at least for me): I type the letter and then the accent key, just like
handwriting a letter and writing an accent over it.  No hitting a hotkey first.  I
just open or enable LK before I write an email or other French text, and disable or
close it when I'm done.  It works anywhere I can type text -- on the web, in any word
processor, and of course, in TB!

Let me give you an example of how it works: when LK is enabled, typing "e1" produces
"é".  If I actually want "e1" then I just type "e11".  I know this seems like a
backwards way to think about typing, but it works remarkably well.  After all, I'm
much more likely to want "é" than "e1".  Of course, you can configure the accent keys
to suit your own typing habits.  I've tried several workarounds for typing accents on
a US keyboard, including most of the options already discussed in this thread.
Nothing allows faster or easier typing of accents than LK -- in my experience anyway
;)

Just a very satisfied user,

Havivah