On 8 January 2002 at 4:41 pm Marck wrote:

> Greetings Bat Fans,

> A question has been posed to me off-list be a journalist and I
> wondered if anyone here knows anything about this issue - I don't. it
> pertains to use of the UK keyboard.

> ,----- [ Query ]
> | One convention which appears not to work is that of generating
> | accented characters using prefix key combinations. This isn't one
> | that's widely known so in case you're not familiar with it (excuse me
> | if I'm mentioning something you already know) it's using such as Ctrl
> | + ' + e to give é, Ctrl + Shift + ^ + a to give â, Ctrl + Shift + ~ +
> | N to give ñ, Ctrl + Shift + : + u to give ü, and so on. I've done all
> | these examples here using cut and paste from Word but it would be good
> | to have them readily available thus from the keyboard.
> `-----

As pointed out elsewhere, this is an Office trick (borrowed from MacOS
:)

However, there is a very nice free application which allows such
multiple key combinations to be used in _any_ Windows application and,
for good measure, is completely customisable (something like this
would be nice for TB!'s own key combinations ;)

http://allchars.zwolnet.com/

Alastair