On 30 January 2002 at 21:52 ETM wrote:

> I am a relatively new registered user of TB.  I did use ExpressAssist to
> protect my OE mail.  I have also performed one backup of all of TB,
> but have no proof that the backup was successful.  Is there a way to
> confirm that everything is actually there?  Does the backup program
> permit restoring in the event of a mail program failure?  How is
> that done?

It can't be verified, save by importing it into another copy of TB!
(I've never had any problem but, if the file format were made open,
someone could easily write a separate program to check that a backup
file followed the format <hint, hint> :)

If there's a catastrophic failure, the way you get everything back is:

1. Reinstall TB! from the installation package

2. Restore the backup file via Tools | Restore

and everything (including the program settings) is restored from the
time you made the backup.

[There's a minor annoyance in that, the first time you run TB!, it
forces you to go through an 'account wizard'. This can't be quit from
so you have to put in nonsensical account information then, when you
finally get to the main screen, restore the backup file and delete the
nonsense account. I've put in a feature request that the 'account
wizard' _can_ be quit].

> A wish would be that the Folder Menu specifically
> spell out "Empty Trash" -- I think the potential to be in the wrong
> folder when emptying "trash" is great.  Most other mail programs are
> pretty specific on which folder is being emptied and require
> selectively or consecutively marking mail for deletion from active
> folders and only allow "emptying" the trash folder.

Not quite sure what you're driving at here as 'empty folder' on any
other folder puts the contents of the folder into the Trash, then
'empty folder' inside Trash _really_ deletes those messages.

Alastair

--
Alastair Scott (London, United Kingdom)
Using Windows XP and The Bat! 1.54 Beta/33