Thank you Peter ... It is a good thing I ><snipped>< before posting in a
relatively public place :-)

I didn't think to look at Base64 encoding.

Now I tried it as no MD-5 and got the same result ... but I recall some
other settings that might impact that.

>SB> Rcvd: "250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN\r\n"
>Seems the server supports _only_ Plain-Text authentication!

I looked at that, and what followed and it didn't dawn on me that it might
be just encoded!  D'Oh!

>If not: could you please send a network dump as made for the 'Eudora'
>communication for 'The Bat!' too, so we might see what actions
>_exactly_ are taken and which not.

And can you tell me how I would get that for The Bat! ?  The "Log" doesn't
contain that much info.  This was extracted from Eudora.log with the
appropriate debug selections made in the ini file.

Thanks

Stuart