On 18 February 2002 at 08:05 David wrote:

> On 17 February 2002 at 14:58:02 -0600 (which was 20:58 where I live) yahoo 1
> wrote

>> I have seen the webpage for secure bat i was wondering if someone actually
>> paid that huge amount for secure bat and was wondering if the money is
>> actually worth it.

> Depends wether you think that it is worth it?

> My office is my lap top. I don't want any one to get access to my mail.

>> Any positive or negative comments about secure bat is appreciated

> (1) Don't forget to take your iKey with you.

> (2) I have found it slightly slower than The Bat! but then it does have to
> decrypt the mail base .

I put up a feature request that the .TBB (message base) files are, by
default, encrypted (using a simple algorithm; something powerful but
slow isn't what's needed); at the moment they are effectively in plain
text.

That, plus the existing startup password, would provide good enough
security for most people, I think, without the cast-iron SmartBat!

On encrypting chunks of the hard disk: there are two classic
applications. I used the first in an earlier incarnation, and it
worked brilliantly; it is also reasonably cheap.

http://www.drivecrypt.com/

http://www.controlbreak.co.uk/products/safeboot.html

Alastair