Hello Adam,

On Wednesday, February 11, 1970 at 3:47:25 AM you wrote (at least in
part):

[...]
an> if the person that was pretending to be marck offered advice which
an> helped then where is the damage?

an> i expect that anyone that is shrewd enough to use TB over other inferior
an> email clients, then they equally as shrewd to know not to format their C
an> drive because "the bat list told me to do it"

It ain't a matter of 'I formated my hard drive because Marck told me
to do so ...'. Every statement of Marck should be clearly validate
able, to _prevent_ discussions about was it Marck or not. If there
were only a single case someone was mislead by ID misusing it would be
to late as trust would be already gone.
Beside that it comes with growing popularity of The Bat! not only
geeks are using The Bat! but more and more 'normal' users, not being
able to understand what 'Edit the registry and enter a value of 100
for XXXTimeout' means. So in fact the 'shrewd enough' fraction is
shrinking :-)
But that's to OT now to continue it on this list :-)

an> why does the bat add the '/' in an IP address?

It's a '\' and it's a 'normal' escape character which let me guess TB!
is somewhere internal handling the string in a matter near to regular
expressions. Without any doubt the fact we can see these characters is
a bug as they should be stripped after internal processing, making it
necessary to escape the string, is done.

an> signature follows....   :)

I see ... but

an> --

:-)

P.S.: It's neither necessary nor a good style to
1.) Full quote the original mail. Quoting relevant parts is much more
    preferred, not only for this list but for e-mail in general :-)
2.) Writing your answer above quoted text makes it unnecessary
    complicated to follow coherences between the original mail and
    your answers / queries. Doing it like me did above makes it much
    easier even for non-involved to follow the thread and discussion :-)
--
Regards
Peter Palmreuther                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"I'm not afraid of dying, I just don't want to be there when it
happens."