Melissa Reese [MR] wrote:
MR> If you *ever* wish to communicate with anyone over the Internet on
MR> any level more private than what you would write on a postcard,
MR> *strong* encryption like what PGP/GnuPG offers is a very useful
MR> tool.

S/MIME will encrypt messages for you.

MR> I feel that PGP/GnuPG is more secure than S/MIME,

- From the point of view of identity verification, PGP's web of trust
model is potentially more secure but only *potentially* so since the
strength of that web of trust depends on how seriously the members
take signing keys and thus admitting trust.

AFAIK, S/MIME may not use as many algorithms as PGP but all currently
used algorithms haven't been cracked and will not be for the
foreseeable future.

The main weakness with S/MIME is the central certification authority
model which makes the user not have as much control as the PGP user.
They have no control over identity verification, key creation etc. You
have to obtain keys and identity verifications through a central
authority. Potentially less secure ... oh yes.

MR> and it's also more versatile (can be used beyond just one's S/MIME
MR> compliant email client).

This is another great advantage with PGP.

MR> In addition to the usual User Guide, there are easy to understand
MR> online tutorials, and helpful mail lists.

MR> If you ever feel the need to put anything in an envelope before
MR> sending it through the post, you most likely *need* strong encryption.
MR> Most Internet correspondence beyond the occasional "How's the
MR> weather?" type missive deserves to be encrypted.

It's not a question of the need being there since he has decided to
use one solution. It's a matter of which is the more appropriate under
the circumstances.

If you wish to authenticate your identity through mail that's being
sent to people who *do not* use PGP, what's the point of the PGP
signature. An S/MIME one would work though since the main stream
clients support it out of the box and the message is auto-verified
without the users intervention.

Yes, I know about the whole point of 'well if you don't use it so
others will see it, how will it ever be more than a niche?' That's
however besides the point when you're in need of an immediately
workable solution and not one that will work if and when you manage
to get all other parties involved to install and learn how to use PGP.

- --
 -=Allie C Martin=-
List Moderator | ŪTB! v1.60c | Windows XP Pro
PGP/GPG Public Key: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?Subject=2B0717E2