Hello Thomas!

On Wednesday, May 22, 2002 at 8:21:37 AM you wrote:

JS>> Ready to go back to FREE no hastle Outlook Express.

> No update no hassle!

No hassle with OE? Only when one doesn't pay attention to warnings
about security holes. One of the most frequent tips for being on the
safe side is, to use up-to-date software (especially OS and
applications connecting the computer to other machines).

And then, what about the automatization processes (like templates)
that TB! offers over OE? Even the interface of OE is much more
complicated than TB!'s, trading usability for good looks.

> If OE had a list like this, I bet you would see several thousand
> postings a day. I believe there are some NG's dedicated to that piece
> of software. Check them out and find that TBUDL list is peaceful,
> helpful, and to the point. :-)

Not to forget, his statistics is

    a) plain wrong
    b) not even "naive" but stupid.

Consider this: One member of the list asks for advice about a
"problem" (in quotation marks because I mean it to be the mathematical
term). Now fifty questions come in about the specific task at hand, as
the original post didn't mention enough particulars. after having
re-defined the problem another 50 answers come in. Now we stay at 102
postings. From half of them spring other discussions, some of them TB!
related like "I don't like the editor", some of them asking for other
apps like "that reminds me, has anyone seen a cheap all-purpose
editor". And then there are the fun posts, "Has anybody heard yet,
Stephen Jay Gould died recently ...".

Not to forget meta-discussions like this message.

For the record, I don't think there are as many postings in OE-related
newsgroups (for various reasons). I know for sure that Word newsgroups
have about 200-500 messages per day (all together). Most of them are
really about bugs and difficulties.

--
Dierk Haasis
http://www.Write4U.de

PGP keys available: mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]?Subject=SendMyPGPkeys

The Bat 1.60k on Windows 95 4.0 1212 C

To be is to be the value of a variable. (W.V.O. Quine)