On Tuesday, June 04, 2002, Roelof Otten wrote...

ACM>> How  often  does a spammer send infected mail. Is it a good idea
ACM>> to   automate  the  sending  of  notification  messages  to  the
ACM>> originator?

> It's  not  a  very good idea to send notifications to the 'presumed'
> originator.  There  are  viruses  that alter the sending address and
> there  are viruses that take two addresses from your AB, one to send
> to and one to put in the from.

I  agree...  and  with the recent Klez, it even 'spoofs' the addresses
from websites the user has visited, as well as the users address book.

> Sending  automatic  notifications often results in bouncing messages
> and  false  alarms and the latter are harmful, you can cry wolf once
> to often.

True...  but in some cases (like a Klez version), a Return-Path is set
(cannot work out if that was bad coding, or an accident yet), which is
the  real sender of the virus. The mail scanning software we run sends
to  the return-path if set, and only replies if I ask it to. I've only
had one bounce, and that is because the infected user no longer had an
account  with  the  ISP  that  was in the return path, they'd just not
updated something yet.

--
Jonathan Angliss
([EMAIL PROTECTED])