Hi:

Since a newsreader might be integrated in TB 2.0, I have been
wondering how many members of this mailing list actively participate
in newsgroups and whether or not newsgroups as communication mediums
have become obsolete. For the past couple of weeks, I have been
following several newsgroups using Agent 1.91 and have mixed feelings
about their general usefulness, especially when directly compared to
well maintained mailing lists such as TBUDL and TBBETA or helpful
forums like the official Windows Commander forum. What I found most
annoying on newsgroups was spam which is obviously something
subscribers of a closed mailing list or forum hardly ever have to deal
with. I understand that there are several thousand newsgroups out
there, but I find that bascially no newsgroup I have subscribed to
offers such a quality of discussion as TBUDL/TBBETA. Furthermore, as
there are several ways of collectively exchanging information (e.g.
mailing lists, forums, newsgroups, etc.), it seems to dillute the user
base. There are some users who will use newsgroups exclusively, while
others stick solely to mailing lists or forums. German users of TB
can, for instance, choose between a German TB newsgroup, the official
forum of Integrated Services (the German distributor) and several
Yahoo mailing lists. Choice is good, but it also takes away from the
collective brainpower of all TB users as there seem to be few people
who use all of the aforementioned services. So what are your views on
newsgroups? Curse, blessing or both?

So long,

Kai