Hi Marck,

On Wed, 17 Jul 2002 11:21:48 +0100 GMT (Jul 17, 16:06 my local time),
you [MDP] wrote:

MDP> Don't believe everything a marketing department claims for their
MDP> "superior" technology.

I don't have a habit of believing big corporate marketing departments;
else I'd be using Eudora ! I have a tried and tested experience with
NAV for past 6-7 years. I haven't had any problem with NAV in these
years and it has stopped all sorts of nasties for me and my clients.
Similar experience with other 20+ friends in my tech-circle.

> - From one site detailing how lame this technology can actually be:
> http://www.dessci.com/support/TSN/TSN62.stm
<Snip>

This site does not pertain Bloodhound is a lame technology, it just
outlines an instance where Bloodhound mistook a software called
MathType 3.5 for a virus. These types of things occur with technology
such as Bloodhound, which relies on logic and "guess-work". To my
mind, even if Bloodhound misreports 4 out of 5 cases, that one
positive ID it makes is a worthwhile endeavor. The rest of the time,
you ignore the virus warning (matter of pressing 'c' in NAV) and
continue. Besides, you can adjust the sensitivity of Bloodhound
detection or turn it off completely.

> If "Bloodhound" technology worked, Norton need never issue an update
> again!

I don't agree. Bloodhound is a fuzzy logic type of application which
complements the updates not replaces it. As with any fuzzy logic
applications, Bloodhound has its share of gray areas, hence the issue
with MathType 3.5. Today, this type of detection mechanism is in its
infancy and NAV is the pioneer, who knows maybe Kaspersky will
incorporate similar innovation in future and improve it? I'd say
instead of bashing such a potential technology, we need to support it,
our personal preference to NAV notwithstanding.

--

Cheers,
Sudip                  For PM:- mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

----
Sudip Pokhrel
Kathmandu-NP
PGP Key ID: 0xD93F5185
http://pgpkeys.mit.edu

-- Sys Info --
Using The Bat! v1.60q
on Windows XP 5.1 (Build 2600 )
H/W: Pentium IV 1.4 Ghz|256MB RAM|40GB HDD
[IE 5.0, Opera 6.03 (default)]

           <A wishbone has never taken place of a backbone>