Hello Nick,

On Thu, 18 Jul 2002 09:58:51 -0700 GMT (18/07/02, 23:58 +0700 GMT),
Nick Andriash wrote:

NA> I agree as well... it would be nice to use bolded text, or underline, or
NA> colour a certain word, or even change the point size of a word...

I disagree. Maybe that's because when I was at school (which is many
winters ago), we learned that a good writing style includes to make
yourself understood without all this. Even without parenthesis and all
those neat little rhethoric-deficiency helpers that are available in
plain text.

I have gone to use parenthesis and even the odd *astrisks* to enhance
meanings in emails (keyword: civilisation in decline), but not in
important letters.

The "3 R's" are in jeopardy anyway - read some of the submissions in
the slush pile of www.darwinawards.com and weep about people's
inability to even write coherently. What if those submitters were
allowed to use rich text?

Please, don't do it to me. If you want to enhance a word in an email,
do it by writing a context that makes me understand "why", not just by
yelling it at me. Make me understand you due to your use of words,
without need to express emphasis with size or colour.

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

Salmon day: Swimming upstream all day to get screwed in the end.

Message reply created with The Bat! 1.62/Beta1
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 2222 A
using an AMD Athlon K7 1.2GHz, 128MB RAM