Hello Jonathan,

On 04 Aug 2002 08:55:13 -0500 GMT (04/08/02, 20:55 +0700 GMT),
Jonathan Angliss wrote:

>> You are not forced to reply at the top and bottom quote the whole
>> message replied to. It is still no big effort to reply inline.

JA> The problem doing that is with Outlook you have to go change a whole
JA> bundle of settings so the reply is tagged with > or some other type of
JA> separator for replies otherwise you'll get inline text, and it is *very*
JA> difficult if skim reading to tell the difference between reply, and
JA> original posting.

Ups, so I am wrong and it has to do with the default setting of OL.
(Can't MS get *anything* right?)

>> E> I prefer top-replying, don't often re-read the original post,
>>
>> This may make sense in a tech support kind of environment, this this
>> here is a mailing list. Quote the paragraph you are replying to, and
>> put your reply under that paragraph. Make life easier for people who
>> want to read your postings on this list. Please.

JA> Even in the environment I work in where I reply to a lot of technical
JA> support questions I use top quoting as often several questions are
JA> asked,

As I said, in some business enviroenments it makes sense, in others
not.

>> (The exception I make is the web interface.

JA> I have to agree.

I was without a computer for the first two months back in Thailand,
and had to use web interfaces in internet cafes exclusively. In the
beginning, my postings included an apoligy for top-replying, then
people knew. Boy, am I glad to have my computer back. :-)))

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

For those of you who have children and don't know it, we have a
nursery downstairs.

Message reply created with The Bat! 1.62/Beta1
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 2222 A
using an AMD Athlon K7 1.2GHz, 128MB RAM