Hello Julian,

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002 12:18:35 +0100 GMT (14/08/02, 18:18 +0700 GMT),
Julian Beach (Lists) wrote:

>> I have seen some small time spammers get TOSd through SpamCop and I'm
>> sure their blacklist is worthwhile but it's not going to reduce your
>> spam if you report things to them. IMHO.

JBL> I would agree with this (as a paying user of SpamCop).  It is probably
JBL> helpful to report things to SpamCop so that open relays and proxies get
JBL> identified, but I found that I had far more success at terminating
JBL> spammer's accounts when I did the investigating and reporting myself.

The amount of feedbacks may be less via SpamCop than by a personal
mail to the postmaster, but I think this may be because they know that
SpamCop is an automated service, which just requires them to act, and
it is more likely that they reply to you when you send a mail to them
directly. But I think that those postmasters that act responsibly will
act when they receive a spam complaint, regardless of whether they
receive it via SpamCop or by a user.

But what if SpamCop has received over 26,000 bounces from iasiaworks?
Do you think it would sense to send a spam report directly? (BTW there
is an American company behind them, even though their head office
appears to be in Hong Kong.)

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

On a Korean kitchen knife... Warning: Keep out of children.

Message reply created with The Bat! 1.62/Beta1
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 2222 A
using an AMD Athlon K7 1.2GHz, 128MB RAM