Hello pmf,

On Sun, 29 Sep 2002, at 15:34:49 [GMT -0400] (which was 3:34:49
PM in NY, USA) pmf wrote:

J>> New wish list item for consideration...or is it necessary?  I
J>> really miss an old "Watch Thread" feature that I think I came
J>> across first in XNews.

> The "Watch Thread" feature has been in news readers long pre-dating
> XNews.

To clarify, I said I came across it first, not that XNews
featured it first.  I too have used a good many newsreaders in
the past.  While I don't consider it a newsreader per se, it may
have been OE in which I first saw the "watch thread" option. It
could have been Agent or Gravity.  The reason I mentioned XNews
at all was to give an example of what I was after.  Had I known
that people would think I didn't know the difference between a
newsreader and a mail client, I wouldn't have did so.  My
fault...I mistakenly used the term "Watch Thread" which at least
Agent uses to selectively download future messages that belong to a
thread of interest. Was it Netscape Messenger that had a similar
scoring function for mail threads?

> It's been expressed many times on the list that people essentially want
> to bring the functionality of news readers to mailing lists. Outwardly,
> the newsgroups and mailing lists are very similar, but the guts of how
> news and email work are very different, making it not a trivial task to
> add some of a news readers functionality to a mailer.

More importantly, the purpose of newsgroups and mail lists are
similar.  Seeing the response to the recent wish list item that
I supported, I gathered that a good many TB users use lists
often.  As such, I expected to see some support for this
particular suggestion.

> As you mention in another message, what you're thinking of is scoring,
> not watching.

Thanks for correcting me.  But remember, the scoring should be
proactive.

> A simple highlighting or flagging would be doable if TB
> could keep a setting for thread - for example, a mark thread flagged
> option would flag incoming as well existing messages in the thread.

That'd be perfect.  But I think the actual procedure would have
to be internal since TB offers the ability to select by what
header people prefer their messages to be threaded if at all.

> However, I've seen news readers - which are designed to handle such
> processing - have trouble with consistently applying thread settings to
> new messages in a thread, so I'd guess its not as easy to do as it might
> seem.

The only 'reader' I recall encountering such a problem was
OE...enough said.

But is this suggestion good enough to add to the Wish list in
your opinion?

James
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.stamp-co.com