Thanks for the replies. my follow-ups below:

>> When I try to send emails, I sometimes get an error message saying -
>> Server reply: relaying denied? This seems to be happening only
>> recently since I got my broadband connection (Ethernet connection via
>> T1/ATM to campus network).

> The SMTP server does not like the fact that you are not connected
> through them. Or, the SMTP server does not like that your From address
> is not from their domain.

That's what I find unusual. My from address is from their domain. I'm using the smtp
server my email provider has set up. I didn't use to have this problem when I had
dialup using TB or Eudora.

Not connecting through them would also not seem to be a problem, since they are not an
ISP. I am talking about myrealbox at www.myrealbox.com. (This message was sent using
their webmail interface since TB is causing problems.)

> Or something like that. Anyway, the error message comes from the SMTP
> server.

To elaborate...you can combat this by running a "local" smtp server on
your machine. They've been mentioned many a time on this list. Off the
top of my head I can think of PostCast Server, Mercury, MDaemon, etc.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to resort to that :/ I don't want to have to keep up to
date with more security patches and logs than necessary. Is there anything else you
can think of?

Thanks,

-Vishal