Thomas,

Saturday, October 19, 2002, 10:29:36 AM, you wrote:

DC>>> Sometimes the destination is not available.
>> This not as common as one would think.
TF> This was a problem when I tried my own SMTP server a couple of years
TF> ago. "The 'net" might have improved in the meantime, tough.

The net's performance has varied quite a bit over the years.  Of
course, it also depends on your own connectivity and the connectivity
of your recipients.

DC>>> Hence, an SMTP sending engine needs persistence full-time access
DC>>> to all of the rest of the net.
TF> I agree with Dave here. Well, OK, you do not need to be online
TF> full-time, but a lot more than you would want if you have a
TF> pay-per-minute dial-up connection.

It all depends on net performance, availability of the different
destination SMTP servers, and the number/range of places you send to.

Oh.  And it depends on how much you demand fast, reliable service all
time.

>> For many it may not be like this so the comment that you'd be making
>> yourself into an ISP is not a reasonable one.

TF> I was wondering about the terminology. Are you an ISP just because you
TF> run an SMTP-server for your own use,

Sorry for creating confusion.  I merely meant the term to describe a
class of service, namely professional-level reliability and
performance.

d/
-----
 Dave Crocker  <mailto:dhc2@;dcrocker.net>