On Thursday, October 17, 2002, Chris Weaven wrote in
<mid:1527670089.20021017154635@;Surfcity.net>:

CW> .... I think I found a weakness in NOD32 pop3 scanning.

Hmmm...  This is troubling....

I downloaded the most fully nested EICAR test file.  When NOD32
scanned it after GetRight pulled it in, it came up positive.  I then
emailed it from one account to another as an attachment.  (My
attachments are kept within the message envelope.)  I also took that
sent message (from the sent folder) and forwarded it to the same other
address.

Both messages came in fine and lodged in my Inbox, despite the fact
that I have the NOD32 BAV active.  When I scanned the Inbox Windows
folder from Explorer with NOD32, there was no positive hit, either.

Just to be sure that the attached ZIP files remained active and were
not cleaned by the first scanning, on download, I extracted them from
the messages and scanned each one.  They came up positive on the NOD32
scanner, but neither one had a problem being saved as a separate file,
although all AMON options are enabled.

As I said, this is troubling.  Anyone have a compelling explanation
for this behavior?

--
JN