Hello SCN,

On Sat, 26 Oct 2002 19:55:54 -0700 (PDT) GMT (27/10/02, 09:55 +0700 GMT),
SCN User wrote:

> I want to block the following IP address
> 66-214-156-51.riv-eres.charterpipeline.net instead of merely the
> domaing name.

> Can this be done with "the bat"?

Yes. Go to Account / Sorting Office / Selective Download. Hit on New,
creating a new filter. Fill in the above IP address into the signal
Strings field. Use the radio button "Entire Header".

Under the Advanced tab, make sure the radio button Kill is selected
(default).

That's all.

> I have received 18 files within the last 48 hours that are infected
> with the I-Worm/klez.k virus.

And you are sure that you will never receive any legit mail from that
IP address? Rather than just killing all messages from them, I would
contact the originator and inform him of his problem. Apparentl, he
has your email address on his machine, and unless it is for his own
spamming purposes, you might have had legit email contact earlier.

> No damage has been done, but it is a real nuisance. I downloaded the
> bat this evening and noticed that the bat is immune to the current
> versions of the klez.k worm.

TB is immune to any known virus. That's because it doesn't autorun any
attachments. I cannot help but think that MS is in bed with
AV-software companies. With a sensible approach to security, rather
than declaring virus-friendliness as user-friendliness, the spread of
many viruses would be hindered extremely. MS knows this, they are not
stupid. They choose not to prevent virus spreading. Their political
decision causes millions of dollars of economic damage every year, and
the only protection you get is to run an updated AV software. Plus use
some common sense.

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

Always try to be modest. And be proud of it!

Message reply created with The Bat! 1.62/Beta7
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 2222 A
using an AMD Athlon K7 1.2GHz, 128MB RAM