'Lo Allie,

On  Sun, 27 Oct 2002 21:38:28 -0500 your time, you authored this:

ACM> Since you posted your findings to this list, I thought your p <snip>
ACM> I've always replied with TB! as my ...

Yeah, if you really say so Allie. :-/ What I've posted I stand by, and is in
context, given the nature of our previous communications. If you need to try
and  score  points by suggesting that I am solely responsible for taking the
discussion slightly off topic then enjoy yourself :)

ACM> I  don't  know  how many of the readers here realize that as TB! users,
ACM> the  results  of  those  tests  you  did  don't really matter, and that
ACM> checking  weeding  out  dangerous  file-types isn't really scanning for
ACM> viruses

Couldn't disagree with you more with *your opinion*, and I must say it seems
a  rather  narrow  and  irresponsible  position  for you to take as well. Of
course  such  tests  are  valid,  and  they would be relevant outside of the
context of TB! as well.

There  are  users  like me that would be more than happy to know that the AV
scanner  software  that  they  are  using  is  able  to  offer all levels of
protection,  regardless  of  whether TB! has similar safeguards implemented,
albeit in another way - that is in context to The Bat! by the way before you
suggest  that  it  isn't. I am much happier for my AV software to quarantine
possible exploits before they hit the TB! inbox and that will save having to
deal with any possible threats on a per email basis, and I suspect that many
other  users  would feel the same way. I don't think the future is having to
go through a paranoid per email sniff to check whether each email is safe or
not,  but  rather  transparency, so that receiving and opening email doesn't
become a chore of a 101 decisions.

Of  course  the advantages of using TB! are many, and having such protection
against  possible  exploits  built in is a great concept, but it in know way
replaces  the  use  of  a  good scanner, or a scanner that is able to detect
exploits  as  well  as  virii. I think what you say about scanners not being
scanners  if  they  'weed' out the occasional exploit is pseudo-literalistic
nonsense.

ACM> a TB! user, it's not really valid to choose to use Kapersky over AVG
ACM> because of how one performs with these tests as opposed to the other.

You  mistake  your  role  Allie.  This  type  of decision doesn't call for a
judgment  by you. In your opinion it may not be valid, because you do things
they  way you do them, so the logic in your context is out of place, but but
of  course if users prefer to have AV software handle exploits in the manner
that  Kapersky  does then it is completely valid to choose Kapersky over AVG
on  that  basis.  There  is  no  definitive  reasoning  here,  just personal
preference based on users preferred methods of email management.

S> Yeah,  but  we  are talking real world not ideals.

ACM> I  thought  we  were  on-topic, i.e., talking about A-V software in the
ACM> context of TB! and making decisions on which to use...

Well I was as much on topic as you were, but I'll refresh your memory if you
like:

ACM> Warnings  should be issued by your e-mail client. Of course, Outlook is
ACM> a  different  beast  and  it  would seem that it does need something to
ACM> prevent  these  filetypes  being  downloaded  to  it  at all. But which
ACM> application is lacking here? Is it the A-V Software or is it Outlook?

You seem to be talking about AV software in context to Outlook, not TB! See,
you aint no puritan either ;)

S> I  think the point is one of familiarity. ...Generally speaking, even the
S> most  basic  of  user  gets to grips with the dangers of running .com and
S> .exe files, ....so understand them as being executable files

ACM> Are you sure about this? :)

Well I was sure enough to write it Allie, so what do you think?

In  my  experience,  and  that  experience  extends to directly dealing with
people using PCs in their homes, from Win 3.11 onwards, users do understand,
and  quicker  when  taught of course. My experiences may not match yours, or
others, but in my context, yes, people understand. In the phone tech support
support  realm,  where  large  numbers  of  users  are  begging for help, my
experiences  may  seem  to conflict, but dealing with people on a one to one
basis  in  their  homes has furnished me with these experiences, and that is
what  I  based my comment on. Of course I have absolutely no need to justify
this, but as you asked...!

S> Again,  in  and ideal world that would be fine. But it aint, and
S> users don't and  won't  do  as they should always, and I don't
S> think they deserve to get infected  because  of  it.  Some people
S> might  call  those types lamers or whatever  -  a  term I  hate -
S> but it's not their fault that there is a war against Microsoft
S> going on and they happened to get caught up in the middle of it.

ACM> <snip>  But  what  has it got to do with TB! which is what this initial
ACM> discussion was about <snip>

to quote you, so you remember the context ;) :

ACM> I'd  say that they have missed the point that it's the user that has to
ACM> be  very  careful  about  any of these files. <snip> Of course the user
ACM> expecting the file shouts an angry foul .....

JFYI of course.

S> I think that the more optional idiot-proof protections there are
S> in place  the better. It means that all levels of user are
S> afforded protection, not just those with plenty of air miles
S> behind them.

ACM> Sure.  I  agree.  This is why TB! is designed the way it is and I agree
ACM> with that design.

So  why  argue  at all then? If you agree with me, that the more idiot-proof
safeguards  there  are  the  better, then why knock the scanner software for
employing  the  same  extra protections? The scanner is most commonly, apart
from  common  sense, the first line of defence, not your email client. Kudos
to  TB!  authors  for  implementing the protection, but TB! is second in the
line,  not  first.  With  your  reasoning  every  application  that could be
exploited  would  have to build in the same protections as and when exploits
were  found.  But that's what scanners operating as a system-wide shield are
for isn't it?

Whatever,  I like Kapersky as it shows that it concerns itself with exploits
as  well  as  the  job  of  scanning for virii, soemthing that not all other
scanner  softwares offer. The fact that it offers first line defence for The
Bat!,  "weeding"  out exploits as well as detecting virii is a bonus for me,
not  something to disparage simply because TB! has some degree of protection
built in.

As  you agree already, the more prophylactics in place the merrier. I prefer
it  that  way. If something gets through Kapersky's shield I am glad to know
that The Bat! seems capable of dealing with it.

- --
Slán,

 Simon @ theycallmesimon.co.uk

Faffing about with TB! v1.61 on W2K SP3