The Bat! is such a wonderful mailer, I'm back to using it after being
away for several months, even though I still haven't solved one of the
biggest problems. Much of the e-mail I receive each day is in
Japanese, and I haven't figured out how to view Japanese messages in
the Japanese version of Windows XP, short of using a decoder program
like NJStar or KanjiKit, which for various reasons are unacceptable
(they add instability to the system and mess up the display in other
programs).

What I'm doing as a work-around is redirecting all mail with
iso-2022-jp in the header to another account, and opening that in
EdMax, which is a Japanese mail client.

I notice that Shift-JIS is supported. In fact, I got a SPAM mail in
Shift-JIS that I could actually read. But use of Shift-JIS is
deprecated on the Internet, and most Japanese messages are in
iso-2022-jp or, increasingly, in UTF-8 (Unicode). So why does The Bat!
support Shift-JIS but not the other encodings? Or is there some way to
get The Bat! to decode those messages? I don't think it's possible
with XLAT tables.

--
John De Hoog, Tokyo
http://dehoog.org

Using The Bat! 1.61 on Windows XP 5.1 2600