Hello John,

On Sat, 2 Nov 2002 20:21:34 +0900 GMT (02/11/02, 18:21 +0700 GMT),
John De Hoog wrote:

> The Bat! is such a wonderful mailer, I'm back to using it after being
> away for several months,

Welcome back. I keep recommending your website to anybody who asks
about "TB and Japanese language". I saw you kept it updated even
though we didn't see you here on the list. ;-)

> I notice that Shift-JIS is supported. In fact, I got a SPAM mail in
> Shift-JIS that I could actually read.

The joys of spam. At least it proved that this part of TB's language
decoding does work. :-)

> But use of Shift-JIS is deprecated on the Internet, and most
> Japanese messages are in iso-2022-jp or, increasingly, in UTF-8
> (Unicode). So why does The Bat! support Shift-JIS but not the other
> encodings?

I don't know why Ritlabs chose one encoding over the other, but I can
imagine that they are not even aware that Shift-JIS is losing
popularity and ISO-2022-jp is the future. I would suggest you drop
them a line and advise them of this.

There has been a lot of discussion about UTF-8 support in TB, we even
once had a beta that tried to support it. I understand UTF is another
beast altogether with problems beyond those of DBCS. Rit won't be able
to avoid it in the long run, though (I presonally believe UTF is the
future, and we will all be able to forget all the different character
sets).

> Or is there some way to get The Bat! to decode those messages?

I don't see how. But please don't take my word for it, wait for other