Hello Ochrid,

Saturday, November 9, 2002, 5:47:21 AM, you wrote:

O> Hello all,
O> Is it possible that the AVG plug in for The Bat! needs to be
O> re-activated after a new version of The Bat! has been installed
O> over an older one?

Ok I am new so I will make this as painless as possible. Why do people
use this AVG product?  I have seen quite a few threads about it and am
concerned for my fellow TheBat! users.

Please point your browser to the very reputable/independent virus
testing lab - virus bulletin
http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/products.xml?avg.xml
This lab tests virus products from all vendors who wish to have their
product tested. If you notice AVG has failed all the tests except 1.
This is obviously not a very good product.

O> (I am asking because the only thing that had changed before AVG
O> failed to detect John eicar-file,

O> Or is this coincidence?

The eicar-file is not a virus. Therefore many security professionals
would state that not detecting a non-virus is a good thing. False
positives will cause a failure at the prestigious virus bulletin
testing labs.  I would be more concerned that AVG failed all but 1
test than I would that it failed to detect the eicar-file.

Again, not trying to step on peoples toes but simply wish to provide
my fellow TheBat! users with some accurate information.

I would recommend you to use Nod32.  It has the best results of any
product tested at virus bulletin. I use Nod32 in conjunction with
TheBat! and I have never had one virus problem.

 rick                            mailto:zufandel@;adelphia.net