In  reply to Simon's message '(SOT) Use of Re: in the subject line' on
Fri, 22 Nov 2002 01:57:04 +0000 from [EMAIL PROTECTED]:

Simon,

S> In  a  recent  discussion  with a friend I was _told_ ;) that 'Re:'
S> used  in  the  subject  line  of  an  email was an abbreviation for
S> 'Reply'  and  _not_  'Regarding',  and that Re: _shouldn't ever_ be
S> used in the sense of 'Regarding' when used in email message Subject
S> fields.

The  use  of Re: to represent 'Regarding' is, IMO, rather superficial.
The  field is a 'Subject' field, and hence, it is already implied that
whatever  is  in the field is what the email is regarding, hence, IMO,
having  Re:  in  the  subject field simply means "Regarding Regarding:
<insert subject here>"

What else is going to be in a subject field, if its not what the email
is regarding....

Its a little pointless to double up.

--
dan.