On Tuesday 03 December 2002 08:59 am, Simon wrote:

> Although  I  have  absolutely  no  wish  to use an HTML feature should
> it be introduced, the addition of such a feature as an option would
> probably bring more potential users haring towards TB! for a trial.
> That can only be a good thing,  surely?  And  I  am  sure that any
> _remaining_ 'die hard' core users would  soon  be  able to whop the
> *text-based email illiterati* into shape - well from my experiences of
> this list I am in no doubt of that ;-)

The only time I find html mail useful is on certain newsletters I receive.
As far as email from friends, I despise the bloated crap produced by
clients like Outlook or that despicable Incredimail. :-)

But at the same time, TB should offer better html support. And it could do
so without relying on Internet Explorer DLLs. Let's take a look at one of
TB's competitors, Pocomail. It has its own rendering engine that isn't
dependent on IE or Netscape/Mozilla. It also offers the ability to toggle
on/off the downloading of images referenced by the html mail, so the "web
bug" trick used by spammers won't work. This is the route TB needs to
take. Like it or not html mail is here to stay and Ritlabs ignoring it
won't gain them any new customers. For the purist, there could be an
option to disable html mail entirely, much like KMail for the KDE desktop
in Linux does.
--
Regards,
Don Zeigler