Hello Allie!

On Wednesday, December 11, 2002 at 2:19:20 PM you wrote:

A> ... there are ways out if you have to be within inches of the
A> screen to see what's happening.:)

A> = You could run at a lower screen resolution. About 7 years ago, a
A>   640X480 screen resolution was pretty standard. Nowadays, it's
A>   unusual to find a modern monitor running at less than 1024X768
A>   resolution.

A>   What resolution are you running at? You could change to a lower
A>   resolution and this will make everything seem larger.

I'm running at 1280 x 768, according to Desktop, Properties, Settings.
I tried it lower, but things didn't go as well. This is a ViewSonic LCD
17.1 in. monitor. Better than my old Sony CRT, although it was also 17
in. My OS is Windows XP Home.

A> = You could increase your font size system wide. You can do this by
A>   going into your display properties and hitting the 'advanced'
A>   button under the 'Settings' tab.

A>   If the font size selected is small, choose 'large fonts'. You'll
A>   have to reboot for the changes to take effect.

I had already put the fonts large.

A>   If you're already using large fonts, then you can choose the
A>   'custom setting..' option and manually increase the font size to
A>   beyond 120%. Normal is 100% while large is 120%.

It was already at 125%. I have just changed it to 200%. Didn't realize I
could increase it with the Custom button. :)

I now have to hang up the modem and close The Bat! and re-start Windows
to see what I've done. So will send this on now and leave you in
suspense. :)

A> If you wish for me to clarify anything else please say so.

Thank you. So far the explanations are quite clear.

A> Going either route has its advantages.

A> If you change your resolution to a lower one, your screen elements
A> will not appear as sharp and your screen 'real estate' will
A> decrease. However, you do maintain font to window size and window
A> element size ratios.

Yes, that was what I found. I did not like the "fuzzy feel."

A> OTOH, if you choose to increase font sizes beyond 100%, this could
A> have a bad effect with some programs that don't compensate for this.

A> As a result, you may see the text on buttons not fully visible since
A> the text is too big or the characters go beyond the provided space.

Well, we're going to find out now. And I can experiment with Custom
sizes between the 125% I was running and the 200% I just put in.

A> You could try both methods and see which one you prefer.

A> Good luck.

Thanks. I'll report back.

--

 Mary
(Mary Bull)

The Bat 1.61 on Windows XP 5.1 2600 Service Pack 1