Hello Roelof,

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002 11:10:57 +0100 GMT (16/12/02, 17:10 +0700 GMT),
Roelof Otten wrote:

TF>> OK, TB cannot change the content-type header of incoming mails. How do
TF>> we get the tabs? What should TB do differently?

> I don't know. Based on the headers, TB tries to figure out what
> attachments to show tabbed. So it depends on the sender describing the
> contents.

Maybe TB should judge from the file extension rather than the header.

> What TB's sending part is considered. It's difficult for a program
> to decide what files are text-based and what not. Even though I
> associated *.cfg and *.log with notepad, I'm perfectly aware of the
> fact that they don't have to be plain text. So I can't fault TB in
> it's behaviour.

I get the feeling that it depends on whether TB has an internal viewer
for the file extension, rather than whether it is associated to an
application. If TB thinks it has no viewer for .cfg files, it cannot
show a tab. A suggestion would be to add file extensions to the
internal viewer(s).

But that doesn't explain why .jpg files don't get a tab if the header
is not as expected, even though valid.

TF>> Now, I don't know the RFCs well enough to know what "related" means.
TF>> But is it correct that TB does not show a tab?

> Since the RFC's only tell us what the messages have to look like
> during transport, they leave us (and TB) completely free on the
> visualization and storage part. So you can't base a bug report on any
> RFC. (Only when it's transport related.)

If the RFCs say it is OK to attach a .jpg file and have the header
show octet-stream, then TB should recognise them correctly and also
show a tab. IMHO.

> Something else is a bug report because you look upon TB's behaviour
> as faulty. You can argue for that in this case, however it may depend
> on your starting point. Do you want TB only to shows tabs when you're
> absolutely sure it's correct or do you want TB to show as much tabs as
> possible?

Both. The .jpg attachment declared as octet-stream is obviously
correct, so TB should show a tab.

> TB doesn't know the attachments as what they are. TB knows their
> extension and what program you associated with it. I've got *.doc
> files that are Word-files (in one of the many versions) or plain text.
> However TB (and Windows) show them all with Word-icons.

Of course, it could only be based on the extension.

TF>> Is this a bug or not?

> Depends on your point of view. Can be argued both ways. I think a
> feature request would be more honest than a bug report, but
> considering your remark in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]">mid:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>. We
> all make our own choices. ;-)

;-)

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get
you.

Message reply created with The Bat! 1.62 Christmas Edition
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 2222 A
using an AMD Athlon K7 1.2GHz, 128MB RAM