Hello Paul Smithson,

On or about Friday, February 21, 2003 at 18:00:16GMT +0000 (which was
1:00 PM in the tropics where I live) Paul Smithson postulated,
ruminated and made these points on the subject of "Filters for Spam":

PS> Hello John,

PS> Friday, February 21, 2003, 5:23:51 PM, you wrote:

~>> Here is a filter that gets rid of alot of spam for me:

~>> [strings] £|¥|¤|§|«|»|À|Á|Å|µ|¿

PS> Why you would include a £ symbol.

PS> As  a  Brit  I  feel  pretty  insulted  that my genuine e-mails
PS> could  be  filtered out as spam just because I used  the  symbol
PS> of my countries currency (one of the World's  major  currencies).

As a Brit you should have sense enough to simply EXCLUDE that symbol
from the list if you wish, and not be 'insulted!'  These combinations
often show up in headers from Asian spam sites, which is why it is
included in the filter.  Any user living in a region where any of the
symbols may be used, should of course exclude those symbols.  This
will reduce the effectiveness of the list of symbols though.  I also
include $ in my spam filter for those who insist on sending me $AVE
$$$$$$$$$$ spams too!  In your case that would be SAVE £££££££££,
which would be equally, but regionally spam'ish.  A user in Japan
would likely receive SAVE ¥¥¥¥¥¥¥, etc.

Example from a recent Asian spam:

Subject: ¡m¤@­Ó§Y£±N¾î±½½u¤W¹£CÀ¸ªº¤j«¬¹qª±½Ï¥Í¡A¡i¨M¾Ô¡j¹CÀ¸±N©ó12¤ë
¤£¤¶©­«±À¥X¡A¦¹¹CÀ¸¦bÁú°£ê¤w¸g±Æ¦W¨ì¤F²Ä1¦W¡A¦b¤¤°ê¤j³°¤w®Ê¤É
±Æ¦W²Ä2¦W£¡C¥Ø«e¦b¥xÆW±N©ó2003¦~¤@¤ë¤¤¥¿¦¡¤£W½u¶}¥

--
Warmest tropical wishes,
Spike

Paying for movies is like paying for sex - if it's free it feels
better.

/"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign - Against HTML Mail
\ /   If it aint a webpage it shouldn't be HTML.
 X    Say NO! to bloatmail - ban HTML mail!
/ \   Ask Spikey, he hates everything (HTML).
Using TheBat! v1.62i hamstrung by Windows XP 5.1
Build 2600 Service Pack 1'