Hello William,

On Fri, 14 Mar 2003 07:09:01 +0000 GMT (14/03/03, 14:09 +0700 GMT),
William Moore wrote:

TF>> This has nothing to do with broadband.

> I meant that any hiatus in the downloading process (for whatever reason)
> doesn't bother me. The process is very fast. You will have inferred from
> my first post that saving a few minutes isn't important to me. Life's
> too short ;-)

Still has nothing to do with broadband. Without the plug-in, TB will
try to downl;oad the same infected mail again and again - at every
mail check. And you get a virus warning each time. It's the annoyance
factor itself, not the speed with which it occurs.

>>> This doesn't arise. I get an infected mail, I delete it.

TF>> Well. If you know about it. What happens sometimes is that you receive
TF>> an infected mail, but your AV program didn't catch it,

> Using a plug-in will make no difference.

Not at this point, but read on.

TF>> Anyway, let's say it's in the message base (with attachments kept in
TF>> message body), but you wouldn't know about it. You update your AV
TF>> program, try to access your folder and plop - it's gone. The whole
TF>> folder.

> I'm not sure I understand this. It can stay in the message base
> forever and will do no harm unless you activate it. Why do you lose
> anything when you update your AV program?

Because when you access the message base, your AV will scan it. It
will then suddenly find out that there is a virus in this file, and
quarantine it. It is lost to TB for all intents and purposes, because
TB cannot access it any more. However, you only know that all your
messages are gone, and you don't know why.

TF>> That's the reason I don't let any AV software delete files.

> Nor do I - I delete any infected email manually, as soon as NOD
> flags it.

Wise. I recommend the same. No automatic deleting.

> Am I missing something here? Don't forget the POP part of NOD is
> only a 'gate-keeper'. If I were to do something silly, like open an
> unexpected attachment, AMON would catch it. If my approach is too
> simplistic, please tell me.

That's not simplistic at all. I am only trying to explain what the
difference between using the plug-in and using the active scanner (or
AMON, as NOD32 calls it) is, because you asked. ;-)

--

Cheers,
Thomas.

Exaggeration is a billion times worse than understatement.

Message reply created with The Bat! 1.63 Beta/5
under Chinese Windows 98 4.10 Build 2222 A
using an AMD Athlon K7 1.2GHz, 128MB RAM