Hi, Julian,

>>From this I guess you mean that TB runs fine the first time that you
JBL> run it when you start the computer in the morning, but then you close
JBL> TB down and start it again several times during the day.  Is this
JBL> correct?

Exactly.

JBL> If it is, then I think that the problem could be that TB is not
JBL> shutting down properly, and that when you try to restart it, you get
JBL> the message because the previous instance of it is still running.

That's what I thought, but according to Task Manager, when I've
closed it, it's shut down. It doesn't appear in the Applications tab at all.

Also, whether the AV/firewall apps are on or not appears to make
no difference, so I don't think it's a conflict (not with one of
those, anyway!)

JBL> This is not an answer, but an attempt to get some more background to
JBL> what is happening.  Other people on the list will find the answer once
JBL> they have enough information!

I am more than happy to provide any information I can and as much
of it as I can! This is so far beyond my capabilities that I'm
thinking maybe I'd better go back to fastmail and just do
web-based mail!

Thanks,
Anna