MA>> Unfortunately, it is my sad yet considered opinion the choice to do
MA>> your own filtering is evaporating. My friend told me boastfully about
MA>> how his Iowa (USA) ISP was "Filtering" his mail with a bayesian
MA>> filter. I pointed him to a free bayesian filter he could operate
MA>> locally, knowing exactly what was getting bounced.

> I politely beg to disagree.

And I not only respect your right to do that, I yield to your
well-earned position of respect within this forum.

> I think simple self filtering of spam is easy for most people. More
> than 95% of all my wanted email is both addressed to me and comes
> from someone with whom I have previously corresponded in my address
> book (2000 names),

Agreed. Mail from prior correspondents is a cakewalk. A respectably large
address book.

> or comes from a dozen or so servers (eg. my University).

Agreed. Filtering by server to allow makes wonderful sense. Filtering
by server to disallow, in terms of unwanted commercial mail would be a
full-time job for me.

> Of the remaining 5% of wanted mail, it is difficult to imagine
> anything that would fail to mention my name (Dear Mark, Hi Mark,
> Mark, Hello Mark) or a few dozen keywords that any novel new person
> approaching me would have to mention to be of any interest
> whatsoever.

Although an estimated 30% of my unwanted commercial mail does, in
fact, mention my name, your suggestion to use phrases common to
personal greetings and new-person approaches is valued. There are
creative ways to do that as the wheat separates from the chaff.

> Clearly this doesn't apply to everyone who uses email, but I would
> guess it applies to 95% of us out there who use our email addresses
> with a modicum of discretion.

Your comment "a modicum of discretion" can be taken in this context of
this public personal reply to be addressed to me and I appreciate this
opportunity to comment.

I personally exercise more than a "modicum of discretion" in my
dealings with e-mail, and yet as a resident of the US deal with
between 30 and 50 bits of unsolicited e-mail each day.

I am an active member of the Flight Simulation and Train simulation
communities. I purchase frequently on-line. I am a registered user of
a dozen or more privately run on-line forums for exchange of
information, simulation 3rd-party software support, and to share what
I've learned.

I do not use IRC, I never post to Usenet although I am capable of
doing so without my e-mail address or identity visible or optainable
except through the service providers I use.

I never press "unsubscribe" and until very recently did not bother to
try to "bounce" mail. As I wrote in a separate post, most spam replies
themselves bounce, however that could easily be a contrivance to
separate the live fish from the possibly dead or dying ones. I
respectfully remind you that any e-mail which does not bounce will
reveal to the sender a fish has been caught. You and I are powerless
to change that and I would be very surprised to discover that fact yet
to be exploited.

While visiting the respectable German website representing
FSNavigator, a brilliant program designed to augment the navigational
aids within Microsoft Flight Simulator, I replied to a message posted
in the site's "Newsgroup" never for a moment even *dreaming* the
message would be copied and posted to Usenet with my full registered
address fully visible and ripe for harvest.

I communicated my displeasure straightaway to the company but the
damage had been done and my Spam skyrocketed--just as anyone's would
if some unhappy chap with an axe to grind were to add a personal
address to a Usenet post in that most lucrative and rich e-mail mining
district.

I do not dash about the Web willy-nilly, and if using Google, I will
switch to a very crippled and script-disabled Opera-3, whose abilities
are wonderfully limited as to what it will and/or will not reveal.

Does this profile and these comments fit one who uses poor discretion in
how e-mail is used? No, it does not. And yet, the spam flows.

For the record, I very much enjoy my on-line pursuits, to include the
challenge of creative eradication of unwanted commercial mail from my
personal mailbox. I am here to learn. I am here to share. I am here to
exchange ideas. I am not an e-mail simpleton and am long in the
computer tooth with what I feel are things to contribute.

> A few simple filters help to ice the cake (not addressed to me,
> multiple similar addressees, a few nasty keywords, foreign
> characters in subject, and routings through a few countries
> through which legitimate mail to me would never be sent).

"Not addressed to me" does not work for me although it will return to
my Alternatives arsenal at the first stop.

"Foreign characters in the subject" does not work for me, because many
I correspond with are overseas in both directions. There are brilliant
bits of software coming from non-english speaking countries, and many
of us correspond through Altavista's Babelfish.

"Routings through a few countries through which legitimate mail would
never be sent." In light of comments in the above paragraph, I would
be most interested to see this list.

> I really think it is OTT to suggest that The BAT! alone couldn't
> suffice for most people.

You mis-understood my comment. Missing from it was the fact I have
been working on this friend for at least two years to consider TB! and
retire from Agent--which was what I used for many years prior to
discovering TB!

Nowhere did I intend to imply that dynamic bayesian filtering was in
any superior to what TB! can do. Quite the opposite, actually and in
point-of-fact.

I was merely revealing to that friend in Iowa that bayesian filters
are not some hocus-pocus magic pill only a provider can use but rather
something he could obtain for free.

To think that you, Mark, as one of this venue's most respected and
honored engines would openly suggest to readers I was being publicly
critical of my beloved TB! especially in a forum designed of, by, and
for TB! users is an outrage. No what Mark? That hurt, and perhaps this
list is not my cup of tea after all if that's how the dialogue is set.

> The critical aspect of spam detection is
> *NEVER* to miss *IMPORTANT* legitimate mail and I think it is
> unlikely I would. Letting a few spams through is hardly relevant.

Impressive emphasis. We operate differently. If I *DO* miss
*IMPORTANT* mail, no one will die. In fact, the sender will both be
shown an avenue to get through and reminded in my bounce message (if
inadvertently caught in a Spam trap of my doing) the Internet and
e-mail may well *NOT* be the avenue through which to dispatch
*IMPORTANT* mail--especially if the return address is robotic.

May I remind you that *IMPORTANT* mail does not take the form of
postcards which can be read by any kiddie with penchant for packet
sniffing.

May I also remind you that here in the US, even having PGP on your
computer could compromise your appearance as a law-abiding citizen.
Fact. I no longer dispatch encoded mail. Pity. It was the one thing
that could have elevated these e-mail toy letters to "IMPORTANCE."

Far too many people, some in domestic government now have e-mail as
the cheap and inexpensive alternative to providing a *REAL CONTACT
AVENUE* and have embraced the idea that e-mail can dispense with a
telephone number and a staff to pick it up when it rings.

*IMPORTANT* E-MAIL* let's see. Is that an oxymoron? Yes, it most
certainly is in my household and after more than a decade of promoting
it, encouraging people to use it, and trying to take it seriously, I
have finally decided to step back and look at what it is, what isn't,
what it has become, and the monster it is becoming.

YMMV

--
Regards,
Mike

Using The Bat! v1.62q on Windows XP 5.1 Build  2600
Service Pack 1