I am sick and tired of having to kill the TB process. This has happened in
most/all versions I have ever used and I reported it many times. Oddly, the
support personnel I have always been in contact with suck.

They told me to turn off folder compression, so I did, and it had no effect,
but damn I considered it a strange reply.

Anyway, the problem is that mail stops being received. Hilariously, I see
this EXACT problem as the reason some people have expressed they did not
evaluate The Bat! for very long. Even more hilariously, they also mention
the other main problem I have, keyboard shortcuts not being saved.

Explaining to support that keyboard shortcut edits are not being saved
turned out to be beyond futile, presumably because of a language barrier.
You edit them, you click ok, you go back, they are not what you just changed
them to. I must have explained this in over a dozen ways.

So, my problems are

1) Mail stops being retrieved. In the old days before I bitched about this a
ton, we didn't get the "Some Tasks are still Active, quit when they are
done" message, we just didn't get anything and killed the process. They
obviously know what the hell is going on because they added that dialog. My
best guess, since they seem incapable of coming up with one, is that the
retrieval thread is being `de-synched` when a server is slow, for whatever
reason, perhaps it is slow enough that the timeout has elapsed AFTER a new
retrieval is supposed to begin. IE, a timeout occurs 90 seconds after an
attempt, but the retrievals are supposed to occur every 60 seconds.

2) keyboard shortcuts are not being saved, wah!

These problems have existed in many versions, I won't accept being told
simply to upgrade, and I could care less if others have not experienced
them. I have never reported any bug or slew of bugs without being told
vehemently that others have not experienced them.

I am angry because I have spent... maybe 40-100 hours on all of these
problems and some related ones in my history with The Bat!, it reminds
me of a bad open source application in this regard. High TCO.

I am evaluating Becky, but it misses just BARELY in some esoteric, but very
important features I am afraid. Perhaps the plugin system can overcome that.

I also wonder how well designed the plugin system for TB is. After all,
you can damn near say every Windows application has a plugin system by way
of catching Win32 messages and the like. Winamp's plugin system is an
example of this farce, I wonder if Becky or The Bat's are.

-Tomi