Hi Marck,

Sunday, October 19, 2003, 8:05:10 PM, Marck wrote:

MDP> Hi Neal,

MDP> @19-Oct-2003, 19:28 -0800 (20-Oct 04:28 UK time) Neal Laugman said
MDP> to Jack:

JM>>> 1. Give us an easier/less time consuming/less dangerous(for
JM>>> klutzes like me) way of doing it.

JM>>> 2. Change it on *their* end.

>> Well, I would think this to be a VERY important issue to deal
>> with.

MDP> Yes. By people rejecting ISPs who illegally block sending software.
MDP> Make your friends aware of this. Report the ISPs concerned to RIT -
MDP> they'll deal with them. This calls for education, not kow-towing to
MDP> ignorance. The reason TB is blocked is explained here:

MDP> http://www.silverstones.com/thebat/spammer.html

I will deal with this by formally letting RIT know along with the ISP
being discussed and the spam-control company they are using.

>> After all, if something affects the basic funtionality of the
>> product it is serious IMO.

MDP> Yes, but it's also not a fault of the product nor should a remedy be
MDP> sought there.

MDP> ... <snip>

>> ... The blacklisting of email (or any other web client software)
>> could have some very dark future consequences.

MDP> Precisely!!! This practice should be campaigned against, not
MDP> encouraged by hiding from it and thus permitting it by default.

Thanks for pointing me to the FAQ page. I will pass it along to
interested parties. And of course you are correct in encouraging
anyone who runs into this situation to do something about it. It's
unfortunate that the abuse of a few in the Golden Age of the Internet
will lead us into a more restricive future. I will state my case to
RitLabs.

--
Neal Laugman

Using The Bat! v2.01 on Windows 2000 Service Pack 3