Hi Leif

LG> Ahhh. Hence my confusion over your question. I honestly can't think of
LG> a situation where five people would share a key.

That's why I posed my question in the first place :) Neither can I.

LG> I can see in a
LG> corporate situation where five people might be on a corporate keyring,
LG> but each with their own sub-key.

Or if each had individual keys, but there was a corporate ADK that each message
was also encrypted with.

LG> Yes, if you wanted to layer encryption, you could recursively feed the
LG> output of one crypto to the next. Again, why? Unless you're maybe
LG> passing high level secrets, then maybe, but for standard end users?

I work on security issues at several levels. I've been involved in discussions
where multiple encryption was considered, both as a research issue and as a
means of adding protection within a particular setup we had. For the end user
though, a 2048-bit key provides more than adequate protection in most cases.

Cheers,

--
Vishal