--> Thursday, November 13, 2003, 10:22:57 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Tuesday, November 11, 2003, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote...

> [I know you said not to answer, but this is information sake]

Cool, I appreciate it, it just wasn't a priority any more.

>> How do I delete messages from the IMAP server?

> IMAP works in a slightly different way. There are flags to a message.
> When you delete a message from an IMAP folder, the message gets the
> flag \Deleted. This usually hides the email from general display in
> most clients as they ignore it, or the server just doesn't return it.
> However the emails are still there. That is until you run an EXPUNGE
> of the folder. To do that, you select the folder, and go to Folder,
> Purge+Compress, and it should be done.

Very illuminating.

>> As a matter of reference, does TB allow me to use IMAP in a manner
>> which is similar to POP saving all mail locally and deleting it from
>> the server.

> Yes and no. The emails are kept in a local cache to save loading on
> the server, the emails can quickly be accessed from that. The problem
> is, you have to read the emails online first for it to work offline.
> So I'd say not really in the way you are probably looking for.

I think there is an option to retrieve more than just the headers when
retrieving messages. If not, I am fairly sure IMAP allows such a
functionality.

>> Conversely, does TB allow me to use IMAP and store every message on
>> the server, never locally?

> IMAP is a protocol that stores the message on the server. That is the
> nature of the protocol.

Well, IMAP is supposed to be a superset of POP. So I would say this
statement is not the whole truth.

It is designed to allow operation like POP for those that desire it.
Perhaps this misconception is what makes IMAP less than it's design.

>> Finally, does TB allow everything in between, deleting some messages
>> from the server, but keeping them on the client side and vice versa?

> No.

Thanks for the info. That would explain some of my confusion.

>> What are the symbols next to the message counts. <*> <2> etc?

> As RitLabs doesn't seem to have defined an answer on this one yet,
> here is what I have observed.

>   <*> means it is either fetching that folder, or is working with that
>       folder
>   <2> means that is has found 2 new messages in that folder since you
>       last looked at it.
>   (5) means the children of the folder this is next to has 5 new
>       messages in total

Hahah, yes, those things were rather confusing as well.

Outbox followed it's own set of rules too apparently.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]