Hi Roelof

> Well, I'm using Mailtraq too and it isn't a typical Mailtraq problem.

Agreed. I didn't think this was really a Mailtraq problem (at least
directly anyway)

> Duplicates from yesterday or even last week could be related to mta's
> own the road, but ten months? Do you keep your messages on the server?
> This could explain the problem when your firewall disturbs the
> communication between Mailtraq and The Bat!.
> A workaround would be to use an inbound archive in Mailtraq to store
> your messages, that way your postbox in Mailtraq only contains the
> actual mail and your configuration can't create dupes. Though you
> still keep a back-up of your mail on the server.
> When you don't save your messages on the server, things can't be
> blamed to your firewall's behaviour. How do you collect your incoming
> mail with Mailtraq? SMTP or via remote pop3, in the latter case you
> might blame your ISP, inspect the headers of the duplicate mails. They
> can reveal a lot.

I do save a lot of my messages on the server (but not all but there is
probably 1000 or so in my mailbox). I hear what you're saying about an
inbound archive (which I do already to track in mail for the company)
Mailtraq handles e-mail for 19 other users so most of what would come
into the archive would not be for me. I would guess I could set up
mail filtering to filter all MY inbound mail to my mailbox but maybe
this is defeating the object of what you're suggesting.

We currently collect mail into Mailtraq via an SMTP mail feed from our
ISP so can't really place any blame on them. And like I said, if I
turn the firewall off, all is well with the world.

> I hope this helps.

Certainly does mate.

> You've got to imagine that your system is connecting to itself when
> your collecting mail with TB. On itself that wouldn't be a problem,
> though it's asking a little bit more from your system. Now imagine
> that you're running your firewall in between, ZA does some mail
> checking (whether you've configured that or not) and acts as a proxy
> on your own pc, thus creating an additional internal connection on
> your pc. And up goes your cpu-load (also because of the checking).
> When you're running an additional proxy (virus scanner, spam filter)
> things get worse and your firewall might be just too much.

> Does this happen when you're doing else with your pc?

Not at all. Only when the firewall running but your above
explanation of how this all fits together makes a lot of sense. Seeing
as my PC is only a straightforward client machine (albeit fairly high spec
2.8GHz, 512MB RAM, 60GB HD) it acts as a pseudo-server for the other 5
clients in the office i.e. they connect to a shared directory to get
info, it also handles Mailtraq and all of its operations also it is
the target for a VPN connection from a branch office that connects
to both a shared directory on the machine and Mailtraq. Long story
short, maybe I am simply asking too much of it.