On Tuesday, December 02, 2003, Allie Martin wrote:

> Dave Goodman, [DG] wrote:

DG>> Trying to backup TB! using tools/backup (1.62r), I get an error message
DG>> for a particular folder saying "An error occurred while storing data of
DG>> the folder xxxxx'.

> There may be some irreparable damage to that particular .tbb file. I can
> only suggest restoring it from a backup.

Thanks, Allie. I had figured that would be the case, but I thought maybe
someone might know of one those neat little TB! tricks. :)

> I'm not particularly fond of TB!'s backup since you can't restore a
> single folders mailbase if you needed to. I personally use it only for
> backup of an installation and restoring to a new system as I did when my
> hard disk recently went bad.

I agree that TB!'s backup is not very suitable as a routine, periodic
backup operation. In this case, I was doing the backup to move TB! to a
new machine. Since the problem only shows up with TB!'s own backup
facility, and the last such was probably done months ago, the question
is whether I still have have 'regular' backups that go back far enough
to recover a good file.

> Otherwise, I suggest backing up using a batch operation or a backup
> utility like SecondCopy.

Actually we do nightly backups using NovaStor+, but I've been thinking
of installing SecondCopy or HandyBackup to do lite-weight backups of
hot data several times a day. Have you, by any chance, compared these
two, or other similar apps? Any thoughts appreciated!

Off to start digging. Thanks for your comments...

--

Dave Goodman
The Bat! v1.62r