On Thu, 2004-01-22 at 23:04, ken green wrote:

> > You'll probably find there is a safety net in the uninstall that says
> > not to delete the folder if there is non-installed items in it.  This
> > means that your mail accounts, mail data, personal options etc are safe
> > and protected by the install script.  If you go to where you installed
> > TheBat, you should see a few folders left over, and a couple of files.
> > If you don't need them, remove them.
>
> If that is the case, the error messages I received didn't even hint at
> that explanation.  No message about protecting anything.  Just what I
> posted.  Why something as simple and basic as an uninstall has to be so
> esoteric and cryptic is just bad usability. Come on...

That is certainly odd.  I'm sure I'd seen that before and it was the
result of the uninstaller protecting the files, but it was a long time
ago.

> Do you know how many registry entries have "bat" in them? Adobe Acrobat
> alone consists of about 50-60 entries, not to mention .bat files, etc. I
> tried searching on RitLabs first but that turned up one entry.

The only ones you should worry about is the branch:

\HKLM\Software\RIT

Or it might be

\HKCM\Software\RIT

The rest of the registry keys that TB might alter can usually be reset
by opening Outlook.

> God, do I have a headache!

Know the feeling ;)

> What about installing 2.x over 2.x?

Should be just fine.  I upgrade through the beta cycles just fine.

> This was my laptop, which I had
> running first CE, then beta 40.  Part of the reason I wanted a clean
> install was because of the corrupt folder problems I was having
> (messages not displaying).  I know it's a longshot, but I thought a
> clean install might be nice...... :(

I originally had an issue with an imap setting on one of my accounts
that I couldn't get unstuck, and ended up reinstalling... so sometimes
it is worth it.

> I thought I might create fresh new IMAP accounts, then copy and paste
> the message base.  Can I do that?  Will that invite more problems that
> trying to do a Restore?

Not entirely sure.  It seems the IMAP files are created with random
names, so you might have to do some playing to get this to work.

> Also, I could conceivably do a restore on my laptop to 1.62r and convert
> all accounts to POP, then upgrade.  At that point, create my IMAP
> accounts and just copy messages from the POP folder equivalents...
>
> am i going insane...?

No, just a little batty ;)  IMAP is a server side storage.  Which means
you shouldn't have to copy anything from your local computer into an
IMAP account.  Providing the messages have been left on the server by
the old IMAP implementation, it should just refetch them correctly.
Unless I'm miss-understanding what you're attempting to do.

--
Jonathan Angliss
([EMAIL PROTECTED])