First of all, Thomas, Rich, Allie, Simon, thanks for the useful
feedback.  There are a few things I can look at now.  This is precisely
my beef with the Bug report - no feedback of any kind.

Sunday, June 6, 2004, 3:55:48 AM, Allie wrote:

AM> Interesting. I've never really ever had a problem with TB! consuming
AM> an inordinate amount of CPU resources.

Lucky you!

AM> Things that come to mind and are worth checking:

AM> - folder compression, especially for the Inbox and Outbox. Though
AM> messages are filtered to other folders and most messages are
AM> immediately sent, a copy of every incoming and outgoing message is
AM> stored in those folders. If you don't compress them, TB! will soon
AM> need to use a lot of resources to handle them.

The compression/purge used to run very slowly for my first account until
I repaired it.  Now that TB! has thrown away about 3/4 of my inbox in
the repair process, the whole compression/purge is a lot more timely.
You win some, you lose some.  :-(

The compression/purge *completes* and that window disappears before the
extreme CPU occurs.  At the time of extreme CPU there are no TB! windows
or tray icons present anywhere.  It is actually possible (if a little
slow) to start TB! again - in which case you get a new task.  Exit that
one and you have two tasks trying to take over.  At this point even one
of the simple OpenGL screensavers (FlowerBox or the like) are basically
frozen when they engage.  This on a 1.3GHz system with a kick-ass
graphics card.

AM> - plugin use, especially antispam have been reportedly culpable for
AM> problems as you're experiencing. The same goes for spam and antivirus
AM> proxy software or those that monitor mail traffic before TB! gets at
AM> it. NOD32 uses a Winsock scanner which causes a TB! memory leak on my
AM> system. That same Winsock scanner was causing my mailserver to crash
AM> while sending mail and then quickly manipulating IMAP mail. I used to
AM> think it was TB! causing the server crashes.

I had the problem before and after using BayesIt, before and after using
AVG plugin and before and after switching to Avast antivirus with plugin
(I'm now back with AVG).  I've had the problem since about 1.6x or
thereabouts.

AM> - a mailbase that is problematic will have TB! spending an
AM> inordinately long time with it.

This is my current favourite.  Despite my comments above, I originally
suspected the account I subsequently repaired.  Maybe TB! is doing
something at the last gasp, after the windows are all closed and maybe
this is tripping over a dodgy account.  My mailbase is, after all, about
the only constant in this whole affair.

I've been meaning to re-import from an old backup all those lost
messages from the repair I did, but so far have not been brave enough.
I wonder now whether I should recover that whole account somehow?

AM> - check your temp folder for overload. TB! uses the temp folder when
AM> downloading messages and an overloaded temp folder will slow it down.

Nope.  Problem evident directly after a full re-install of XP, TB!.

--
Cheers,
 Allister